Monday, July 8, 2013

we're not in Kansas anymore

Yesterday (Sunday) J & I set out to try a new brunch spot. The first place we went to was closed on Sundays. We went to try another spot on the strip. One sign on the restaurant said open, one sign said closed. We saw people eating pancakes in the windows. Jackpot! Walk in, sorry we're closed from noon to midnight. It was 12:30pm. Augh. We continued down the strip and ended up eating at a TGIFridays. Apparently there was a big UFC fight showing Saturday night in the States (Sunday afternoon here) so the place was packed.

After lunch we walked around some stores on the strip and then decided to go to Underwater World which is basically the Guam aquarium. They have one of the largest aquarium tunnels. It's 319 feet long through a 800,000 gallon tank. It was pretty cool. I also was finally able to see a brown tree snake in one of the exhibits. I still haven't seen any out on the island. Of course the only exhibit that was under renovation was the coconut crab exhibit. Although I think J & I saw one of those on our hike the other day. They just look like giant hermit crabs.

After an afternoon of cleaning and setting more things up in the house (mostly by J), we decided to go to a grocery by the house. I was totally disheartened. The store was dirty. We had to check all of our items, especially the produce, to make sure it wasn't bad or expired. Some of the customers in the store were rude. It was just an overall bad experience for me. I know I sound like a spoiled American but I just felt completely out of my element. Luckily, there was a wine aisle. J bought us 3 bottles because clearly I needed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment