Thursday, October 17, 2013

typhoon francisco


Pretty huh?

Time to make t-shirts: I survived Typhoon Francisco.

Looks like the worst is passed us although I can still hear the wind whipping around outside. Winds were supposed to get up to 40 mph with the possibility of gusts up to 60 mph. Luckily the storm has been extremely mild and has been a great trial run in case a stronger storm hits in the future.

We've also been very lucky in that we haven't lost power. Although, besides the entertainment factor to cure the cabin fever, having power hasn't exactly been necessary because the news stations don't seem to make a big deal about a typhoon approaching the island. I don't even think the local news stations here even have weathermen on staff. Maybe I'm a little jaded being from the Ohio Valley because the meteorologists there would be on tv for hours predicting the path of the storm. I know island life is laid back but come on.

Maybe it's harder to predict the path of a typhoon because every time the local news interviewed someone from NOAA, they were not sure where the storm was headed. Thank goodness for Facebook otherwise I would have had no idea what was going on with the storm. Obviously, I would have figured it out on my own just by looking outside but it would have been nice to know that I should be shutting my storm shutters prior to 2am.

Yes, I've now also learned how to operate storm shutters. Although I'm not too savvy operating them in the dark, in the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment