Saturday, October 26, 2013

a classic case of Halloween costume procrastination

I am the worst Halloween costume procrastinator ever.

I think my most creative costume to date was junior year of college. Although, I'm pretty sure the costumes were not my idea. I was Marilyn Monroe and my bff was Marilyn Manson. Besides my defunct, tightly curled, unruly fro wig that made me look more like Dolly Parton and the fact that I forgot to draw on Marilyn's signature beauty mark, we had a pretty creative twosome.

Unfortunately, it seems at some point in my life my creativity has been stunted. I was always creative as a child and a teenager - taking art classes, making friendship bracelets, sewing sequins on EVERYTHING (I was the original bedazzler), making my own clothes- but I think my need to be a perfectionist killed my creativity.

I went to Kmart earlier tonight because their costumes are 75% off. As I'm searching through three rows of costumes and hoards of people, I finally settle on the zombie banana costume. "It will be funny," I think to myself. About that time someone comes on the loud speaker. "Attention Kmart shoppers, we are sorry for the inconvenience but all of our registers are experiencing technical difficulties." Augggghhhhh. You win, Kmart. You win.

So here it is the night before our friend's Halloween party and here I am Googling "costumes to make out of a cardboard box." (We still have a lot of boxes left over from the move). Luckily, as a backup, my husband loves Halloween and I have a few of his costumes that I can wear if all else fails.

1 comment:

  1. Oh do tell, how does this tragic story end? Did you end up going as a sponge-bob-squarepants?

    P.S. I heard medicinal marijuana works wonders for one's creativity (think Dave Chappelle; Snoop-"Lion"; Lenny Bruce; Stephen King etc.)

    ReplyDelete